Thursday, January 20, 2022

Bovina Ex-Pats: Command Sergeant Major Helen Isabelle Johnston


    This month’s entry on Bovina Ex-pats is a little different from past entries, which have involved people long dead. This one involves a woman who has just passed away at the end of 2021. A woman with a remarkable career in the Women’s Army Corps and a pioneer for women in the army.

    Helen Isabelle Johnston was the daughter of T. George Johnston and Marjorie Shapley. She was born in Delhi in February 1931 and grew up on the Johnston family farm in the Mountain Brook area of Bovina, attending high school in Andes, where she graduated in 1949.

    In January 1952, she entered the U.S. Army in Binghamton. She served in the Women’s Army Corps for almost 30 years with distinction. She completed her basic training in Fort Lee, Virginia. After graduation, she was assigned as an assistant platoon sergeant in the Women’s Army Corps Basic Training Company.

This image of Helen was taken in September 1952 by Delhi photographer Bob Wyer, a few months after she enlisted.


    Helen went overseas in September 1954, working in Munich. In 1957, she came back to the states, working in recruiting in Providence, RI. She went to Albany in 1964 and in 1969 she came to Fort McClellan, Alabama. Helen remained there until 1975. She went back to Germany where she became the first female soldier to assume the position of Command Sergeant Major in an overseas assignment. She returned to For McClellan in 1977, assigned to the 548th Supply and Service Battalion. Helen retired from the army in July 1980.

MG Mary E. Clarke and CSM Helen "Johnnie" Johnston casing the colors on the Women's Army Corps on the parade field at Fort McClellan, AL on 21 March 1979. Photo Credit: US Army Women's Museum


    She received several medals during her time in the Army, including the Legion of Merit Army Commendation Medal, the Good Conduct National Defense Medal and the Occupation Medal. She was active in retirement, supporting such organizations as the Army Women's Museum, the Foundation and Friends of the Army Women's Museum, the League for Animal Welfare, Meals on Wheels, and numerous other charitable organizations. In November 2017, she was the grand marshal of the Calhoun County (Alabama) Veterans Day Parade.

    The U.S. Army Women’s Museum posted a quote from Helen on its Facebook page in December 2015 in which she does mention a major milestone in her career: “It's rather hard to pick one highlight as I had several during 28 plus years of service.  I have picked one so bear with me.  In 1974 when I was at the Sergeants Major Academy I was told I had to be reassigned to either Ft MClellan or Ft Jackson as they were the only places with female CSM slots.  I chose Ft McClellan and much to my surprise, in 1975 I was the first female CSM to be selected for duty in a combat service support unit overseas. I realized then that integration was really on the move.  My tour in Nurnberg was to a large maintenance battalion (1389 mostly male personnel) and the life affirming highlight was that gender did not make a difference as long as I did my job.”



    I may have met her when I was a young adult, but if I did, I don’t recall. But in January 2017, I had a long phone conversation with her. My purpose was to get more information about her brother Allan, who escaped from Nazi occupied France in WWII (see my blog at https://bovinanyhistory.blogspot.com/2017/06/faces-of-bovina-adventures-of-allan.html). When I asked, she said she couldn’t tell me much, then proceeded to tell me pretty much the entire dramatic story of her brother’s adventures. It also was during this conversation that she modestly told me a little bit about her army career. As I dug further after our phone call, I learned that her career path was impressive. We had some contact via e-mail and through Facebook over the next few years.

    Command Sergeant Major Johnston’s obituary is at Helen Isabelle Johnston Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information (klbrownfuneralhome.com)

    The Facebook page of the Friends of the Army Women’s Museum Association posted this tribute after Helen’s passing: “Command Sgt. Major Helen ‘Johnnie’ Johnston’s esteemed Army career blazed a trail for many of us to follow. Helen stepped up to the challenges of the integrated Army once the WAC ended and established a high bar for both women and men. Throughout her military career and following it, she mentored, guided and supported other Army women. Following her retirement, she became an active and engaged supporter of the organizations important to her and to so many of us—the WAC Museum and then the U.S. Army Women’s Museum and the Women's Army Corps Veterans Association, Chapter 62-Anniston. Her work has made a difference to women in innumerable ways. She will be greatly missed!”

2 comments:

  1. Great reporting Ray. Proud that Sgt Major Johnston got her start in Bovina. Thank you for the excellent story.
    May she rest in peace. Sincerely, Jeffrey Weiser

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was my great Aunt Izzy. She will be missed by all who knew her. She was a kind and loving woman who always thought of others.

    ReplyDelete