Saturday, April 10, 2021

April 1921 - 100 Years Ago in "That Thriving Town"


Bovina saw the death of R.H. Russell, father of Cecil Russell, from blood poisoning and the sudden death of Bovina Town Clerk Thomas Gordon.
April 1, 1921
·         W.S. Gordon is recovering from an attack of measles.
·         Homer Burgin had his wrist severely injured Wednesday morning while cranking his car.
·         Hale G. Elliott has moved to Charlotte, Mich. To work in the Dry Milk Plant there.
·         George Decker, near Lake Delaware, is having his new residence painted.  Alex Myers is doing the job.
·         The newly elected officers of the local dairymens league are: Frank Miller, president; Andrew Reinertsen, secretary and treasurer. 
·         Hamilton Russell has a bad case of blood poison in his hand and arm.  The trouble started from getting a piece of straw in his hand.  Dr. Schumann is attending him.
·         Robert E. Hunt, Robert Fiero and Harry Robson started for Bainbridge Wednesday, where they will work for the Dry Milk Co.  Robert G. Thomson, has been transferred from a dry milk plant in Michigan to Bainbridge.
Was Native of Bovina
            Word has been received in Bovina of the death of Henry M. Liddle at Colfax, state of Washington, March 18 at the age of 76 years.  He was born in Bovina in 1844 and for 44 years had lived in Whitman county, Washington.  He is survived by his wife and four brothers, viz; William, in Andes and David and James in Bovina, and Thomas in Washington.
April 8, 1921
·         William A. Hoy is ill with the jaundice.
·         Thomas Gordon was a County Seat visitor Monday.
·         Mrs. Gill will be at T.C. Strangeway’s with millinery April 14.
·         Mary Brown, Margaret Gordon and Ruth Coulter are the latest victims of the measles.
·         Alex Hilson and Mrs. Kate Barnhart are having DeLaval milking machines installed.
·         Fred Whitehead moved this week from the Miller homestead farm to the small Dickson house in Bovina Center.  He is succeeded on the farm by Milton Stratton.
Victim of Blood Poisoning
R.H. Russell of Bovina, Passed Away March 30
            Robert Hamilton Russell died at his home in Bovina Center on March 30, from blood poisoning which started in his finger.  He was born in upper Bovina 71 years ago and had always lived there until some two years ago when he came to the Center.  Mr. Russell was twice married, his first wife being Josephine Baker.  His second wife, who survives, was Margaret Doig.  He leaves four sons, viz Rev. Elmer Russell, of Superior, Nebraska, by his first marriage, and Herman Russell, of Keldron, South Dakota, Cecil Russell and Charles Russell, in Bovina, by his second marriage.  The funeral was held Monday from the R.P. church, Rev. F.N. Crawford officiating, assisted by Rev. Montgomery.
April 15, 1921
·         Claude Erkson has been ill with erysipelas.
·         Those who have recently purchased DeLaval Milkers are John Storie and Anthony Banuat.
·         Frank Myers and friend, Glen Brundage, of Endicott, were here the past week on a fishing trip.
·         Robert Fiero, who went to Bainbridge a few weeks ago, returned this week to Bovina and is preparing to move his household goods to Bainbridge.
·         The little daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Burgin is quite ill with measles at the home of their grandparent, Mr. and Mrs. William T. Forrest, back from Lake Delaware.
·         Bovina real estate transfers recorded are Bovina Cemetery Association to Mary Jane McFarland, $25; Stephen Schabloski and wife to Mary Webber, $1.  This is the Ruff farm in upper Bovina.
·         Mrs. William L. Ruff left Wednesday for North Dakota.  She was called there by the illness of her daughter, Mrs. Taylor (remembered here as Minnie Ruff) who had ten tumors removed in a recent operation.
Was Native of Bovina
            Mrs. George Forsythe died Aril 9, at the family home below Franklin village.  Her maiden name was Jeanette Rutherford and she was born in Bovina 73 years.  She was a Daughter of the American Revolution.
April 22, 1921
·         Edith Liddle is recovering from an attack of the grip.
·         Fred Thomson reports seeing a strawberry blossom April 16.
·         Charles A. Lee has sold his residence at Lake Delaware to Roscoe Brown.
·         John Quinn has taken the job of gardener on the Gerry estate at Lake Delaware.
·         William M. Johnston has sold his farm in the upper part of the town to Foreigners.
·         Julius Ringholm has moved from Lake Delaware to Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey.
·         Gladys Worden has taken the place of Mrs. Robert Hunt as librarian of the Bovina Public Library.
·         A large condenser weighing 19 tons is being installed at the Bovina Center Co-Op Creamery.  The skim milk will be condensed and then taken to Mr. Franklin’s plant at Roxbury.
·         Gustave Leftgren has begun the erection of a farm house to replace the one burned last winter.  The carpenters are Nelson Reynolds, James Ackerley and Jas W. Thomson.
·         Douglas Davidson has purchased of William Archibald the few acres of land which lays back of his house and lot at foot of the Russell road below the village.  This land contains a spring and at one time had been a part of what is now the Davidson property.
April 29, 1921
·         Robert R. Gladstone is having his house treated to a new dress of paint.  Alex Myers is doing the job.
·         James A. Gow is improving his residence which stands on the site of the old school building, by the addition of a veranda.
·         G.D. Miller is the oldest dealer in hides in Delaware county, and probably in the state.  He has been buying hides for 60 years and for many years has also bought wool and tallow.
·         David F. Hoy, registrar of Cornell University, was here the first of the week to attend the funeral of Thomas Gordon, who was his first teacher and started him on the road to success.
·         Monday the little son of C.S. Terry had its leg injured while in the cemetery by one of the tombstones falling over and hitting him.  The cement which held the stone in the base had loosened and a slight pull brought the stone out of the mortice.  No bones were broken.
[Note: the next entry in this blog on April 20 will be about Thomas Gordon.]

No comments:

Post a Comment