Sunday, December 10, 2017

December 1917 - 100 Years Ago "In That Thriving Town"

December saw continuing reports on the health of Mrs. Robert G. Thomson, ending with her return home from New York followed quickly by her death at the age of 33. Dr. Scott became ill that same month and died of pneumonia the day after Christmas.

December 14, 1917
·       Fred Whitehead went to New York City this week to enter a hospital for an operation.
·       Mrs. James D. Boyd has sold her farm, on the slope of Mt. Pisgah to Albert Townsend.
·       Dr. G.T. Scott is on the sick list, and had a chill Tuesday evening and now has pneumonia.
·       A night cap social for the benefit of the Red Cross was held at John Story’s last Friday evening.
·       “Valley Farm” was given in the town hall on Monday evening by an Andes cast of characters.
·       Rev. Long, rector of the Episcopal church at Lake Delaware, is spending the week in New York City. 
·       It is expected that Mrs. Robert G. Thomson, who has been in a hospital in New York for several weeks will be brought home Friday.
·       Miss Leila Miller, who has spent the past three months with her brother, Earl, in St. Paul and other relatives in Wisconsin and Minnesota, returned to her home here Wednesday.
·       William D. Oliver, who for several years has been employed at the dry milk plant, has secured the position of manager of the dry milk plant at Harpersfield and has moved his family to that place.
·       Charles Hafele, who recently sold his farm to a western man, is moving into the rooms in Gilbert D. Miller’s house, vacated by William Oliver.  A goodly number of their old neighbors made them a surprise visit last Thursday evening.

December 21, 1917
·       James Hoy, son of Wm. A. Hoy, who has been ill, is out again.
·       The two inspectors designated canvass the soldier vote – there were two votes.
·       There will be a Christmas tree in the church for the small children, on the evening of December 26.
·       Guy Rockafeller, who has been ill at the home of his mother in-law, Mrs. A. Fitch McPherson, is much improved and will soon be out again.
·       Dr. Scott is still very ill with pneumonia. His sisters, Mrs. William Moosmau, of Margaretville, and Mrs. Molly Thomson, of Binghamton, are with him at present.
·       Robert G. Thomson arrived home from New York Saturday evening with his wife.  They were accompanied by a nurse and her mother, Mrs. Georgia More.  Mrs. Thomson had been in New York for several months for operations and radium treatment for cancer but without avail.  She was brought home on a cot. [Mrs. Thomson came home on December 15 and died four days later on the 19th.]

December 28, 1917
·       The Bovina Center school closed on Monday for the holidays and will reopen January 2.
·       The funeral of Mrs. Robert G. Thomson, held Saturday, was largely attended.  Interment in Center cemetery.
·       William H. Robertson, who bought the Thos Hoy farm last spring, has sold it to Henry Henning of Delhi.
·       A reception for Rev and Mrs. H.K. Galloway will be held in the United Presbyterian church Friday evening, December 29.
·       A Christmas tree was held in the U.P. church parlors Wednesday evening for the Primary department of the Sabbath School.
·       Lloyd Irvine, who is attending college at Poughkeepsie, and Clifton Irvine, from Oregon, who was enroute to training camp at Baltimore, spent over Christmas with their parents on Coulter Brook.

Bovina Physician Dead
            Dr. Gilbert T. Scott died at his home in Bovina Center, Wednesday evening December 26, following an illness of two weeks from pneumonia  The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon.
            Dr. Scott was born on Coulter Brook in the town of Bovina 63 years ago and his early life was spent there. He attended the academy at Andes Rutgers college.  After admission to practice he opened an office in Davenport where he practiced for more than a quarter of a century.  About 8 years ago he came to Bovina, following the departure of Dr. Young.  Some six or seven years ago he had a shock and since then had been without the use of his right arm and had practiced little since that time.

            He was twice married, his first wife being Mary Birdsall, of New Kinston.  After her death he married Agnes Salton, of Hamden, who survives him. He leaves a son, Clifton Scott, who is studying medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment