Sunday, August 7, 2016

The 1884 Diary of David Fletcher Hoy - July and August 1884

Here are the July and August entries in the 1884 diary of David Fletcher Hoy. Hoy was living in Bovina in 1884. The diary was transcribed by his great grandson, John W. Hoy. Thank you to John and to his dad, David F. Hoy III for allowing me to share this diary.

JULY

TUESDAY 1.             
I went to James Gill to day
Came home at night

WEDNESDAY 2.
I am at James Gills to day

THURSDAY 3. 
We finished at James Gills to day and went home

FRIDAY 4.
I am at J T Miller [D.F. Hoy's uncle John Thomas Miller, half-brother of Isabella Wilson Miller] to day
I was at Brushland at night

SATURDAY 5.          
I am at  J T Millers to day

SUNDAY 6.
I went to church to day
I was at Prayer meeting at night

MONDAY 7.             
I was at Palmers at forenoon and at J T Millers in the afternoon

TUESDAY 8.
I am at John Miller to day

WEDNESDAY 9.      
I am at John Miller to day
              
THURSDAY 10.
I am at John Millers.
I came home at noon and cleaned out the well

FRIDAY 11.             
I am at J Millers to day

SATURDAY 12.
I came down to Jim Davidsons to day

SUNDAY 13.       
I went to church to day.
Mr Howie preached

MONDAY 14.
I am at Jim Davidsons
Jim & I put up a driveway into the barn

TUESDAY 15.         
I am at Jim Davidsons to day fixing driveway to barn

WEDNESDAY 16.
I am at Davidsons
We commenced haying to day
We did not hay it in afternoon

THURSDAY 17.       
We hoed the potatoes this forenoon and the afternoon worked in the hay

FRIDAY 18.
We worked in the hay to day

SATURDAY 19.       
We worked at the hay to day

SUNDAY 20.
We went to West Delhi church to day
We got our dinner at Henry Scott's.

MONDAY 21.          
We worked in the hay to day

TUESDAY 22.
We worked in the hay today

WEDNESDAY 23.   1884.
We worked in the hay to day
It rained at evening
We was down to Wm Alstures [?] at night

THURSDAY 24.
We worked at the hay
It rained at night

FRIDAY 25.             
We worked at the hay to day

SATURDAY 26.
We worked at the hay to day

SUNDAY 27.            
We went to church to day
Mr Doig preached
It rained to day

MONDAY 28
Jim & Kate went to Walton today
I mowed in the afternoon

TUESDAY 29.          
We all went over to Peter Wakefield to day
It rained all day

WEDNESDAY 30.
We finished mowing to day
Jim & I went over to Dick Millers
at night
It is Jim's birth-day
Will Elliott died to day

THURSDAY 31.       
It rained to day and I came home
I was at a concert given for the Fresh Air children

[This refers to the fund created to benefit needy NYC children by granting them time in the country. According to Wikipedia, it began 1877, then grew quickly. The note in accounts later specifies $.20 spent July 30 at the M.E. Church, which quite possibly was the site of the concert.]

AUGUST

FRIDAY 1.
I went over to Will Elliott funeral to day

SATURDAY 2.
I am at home to day

SUNDAY 3.
I went to church to day

MONDAY 4.
I am at home.

TUESDAY 5. 
I am at home.

WEDNESDAY 6.
I am at home.

THURSDAY 7.
I am at home.

FRIDAY 8.
I am at home.

SATURDAY 9.
I was at home in the forenoon and afternoon went up to Uncle John's [J.T. Miller?]

THURSDAY 14.
We are working at D. Burns to day

FRIDAY 15.
We finished at Doug Burns to day

SATURDAY, 16.
I went to Andes to day
I took Dougs team and Ed Burgin went with me.

SUNDAY 17.
I did not go to church to day

MONDAY 18.
I worked at home today.

TUESDAY 19.
I helped Ed Burgin to cut oats to day

WEDNESDAY 20.
I helped Ed Burgin to cut oats today

THURSDAY 21.
I helped Ed to cut oats to day Came up home at night.

FRIDAY 22.
I helped Ed Burgin to cut oats to day.
I came up to Doug's and stayed all night

SATURDAY 23.
Father & I worked in the river at the wall to day
We had Dougs team

SUNDAY 24.
I went to church today.
Sermon by J B See on Harvest time

MONDAY 25.
I helped Ed. Burgin with his oats to day

TUESDAY 26.
I helped Doug to cut oats to day

WEDNESDAY 27.
I helped Doug to bind oats to day
He cut my hair at night

THURSDAY 28.
I helped Uncle John to draw in oats to day
We drawed until 10 o clock at night

FRIDAY 29.
I worked at Uncle John wagon house to day

SATURDAY 30.
I worked at Uncle John wagon house to day

SUNDAY 31.
I went to church to day

No comments:

Post a Comment