Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Edward O'Connor: "From the Young America, Farewell"


I’ve found another document concerning Edward O’Connor, the Bovina resident involved in the climax of the Anti-Rent War. More about O’Connor can be found in this blog at Bovina (NY) History: Stories from Bovina's Cemeteries - What Ever Happened to Edward O'Connor? (bovinanyhistory.blogspot.com)


In March 1921, David F. Hoy, Registrar at Cornell University, donated an item to the university archives. It was a poem written by Edward O’Connor, who had been sentenced to hang for the murder of Undersheriff Osman Steele in August 1845. The poem was written to his girlfriend, Janet Scott. 


It was written in Delhi on October 17, 1845 while he awaited his execution, scheduled for November 29, 1845. 


From the Young America

Farewell


Sore sure is my heart when I think of the night

So dark and so lonely so gloomy the sight

But little I thought I should never see more

My fond my sweet Jennett the girl I adore


So finally I pressed her soft bosom to mine

I loved her so dearly she was almost divine

But then when we parted what prophet could tell

I was bidding my fair one forever farewell


What tongue or what pen can my feeling express

To think of my loved one in keenest distress

My blood rushes through me and makes my heart swell

To write to my fond one forewell ah farewell


Oh well I remember the simple fond strain

When we parted she asked when shall we meet again

Our tears intermingled and swiftly they fell

But ah we were taking a final farewell


Oh Father in Heaven it is my desire

And ever shall be my humblest prayer

That Thou mayest protect her own parents as well

I send her my fondest my sweetest farewell


Edward O’Connor


Presented to my friends to preserve as a memorandum for him who died in his country’s cause November 29, 1845, aged 26 years the 17th October 1845.


Freedom’s willing son bleeds free

Through scourge and storm for liberty


E. O’Connor


On the back of the poem was this statement:


Edward O Connor, poetry whilst under the sentence of death for the murder of undersheriff Steel.

From the Cornell University Library, Rare and Manuscript Collections


Hoy says that his grandfather, David Miller, was one of a committee that appeared before the governor, urging leniency. The jury that convicted O’Connor pled for leniency, too, as did a number of correspondents to the governor. The governor was finally persuaded to commute the sentence to life in prison only a week before the scheduled execution. Ultimately, O'Connor was pardoned and released from jail within two years of his conviction.


Another letter written by O’Connor, donated by the late Andy VanBenschoten to the Delaware County Historical Association, was featured in this blog about a decade ago: Bovina (NY) History: "I did for friends and liberty" - The Jailhouse Letter from Edward O'Connor (bovinanyhistory.blogspot.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment