Friday, October 21, 2016

The 1884 Diary of David Fletcher Hoy - September 1884 and conclusion

Here are the September and November entries in the 1884 diary of David Fletcher Hoy. Hoy stopped writing in the diary after September 18, with the exception of one entry for November 22. Hoy was living in Bovina in 1884. The diary was transcribed by his great grandson, John W. Hoy. Thank you to John and to his dad, David F. Hoy III for allowing me to share this diary.

SEPTEMBER

MONDAY 1. 1884.
I went to Uncle John's and then went and helped Dave J. to bind oats.
Jim Laing Rob Thomson Miss Martha Armstrong and Mrs F. D. Armstrong was at J T Miller's at night

TUESDAY 2.
Father and I worked in the stone quarry to day
It is very warm

WEDNESDAY 3. 1884.
We worked in the stone quarry to day

THURSDAY 4.
Father is sick to day
I worked at the wagon house

FRIDAY 5. 1884.
I worked on the wagon house to day
D W Miller [David William, 1855-1892, son of J.T. Miller and Nancy Armstrong?] & I went over to the Lake at night

SATURDAY 6.
I worked at the wagon house to day

THURSDAY 11. 1884.
I am at home to day This is the last day of the fair
We saw the balloon go by Miss Thurston [? Thorston?]
I was down at D. J. Miller's [David James Miller, son of David Miller and Christiana Porteous Miller? b. 1858, m. 12/28/1883 to Elizabeth Campbell] at night

FRIDAY 12.
I went to Andes and got some tools to day

SATURDAY 13. 1884.
I helped Dave J [Miller?] to thrash and I helped Doug in the after noon

SUNDAY 14.
I did not go to church to day

MONDAY 15. 1884.
I helped Doug to thrash a little and then trimmed out some brush
I took a Siddle[? not "saddle"] horse piower ["plower"?] up town at night

TUESDAY 16.
Doug was up and we drawed some stone.
I helped Dave W. [Miller?] to draw in some oats.

WEDNESDAY 17. 1884.
We are working at C. T. [?] Smith

THURSDAY 18.
We finished at Smiths to day
I helped Scotts to thrash a little at night

SEPTEMBER, FRIDAY 19. 1884.
[From this day onward, blank, no entries, until November.]


NOVEMBER, SATURDAY 22. 1884.
I stayed in the house all day to day
I was up to Uncle John's a little while at night

No comments:

Post a Comment