Saturday, April 23, 2016

The 1884 Diary of David Fletcher Hoy - March/April

Here are the March and April entries in the 1884 diary of David Fletcher Hoy. Hoy was living in Bovina in 1884. The diary was transcribed by his great grandson, John W. Hoy. Thank you to John and to his dad, David F. Hoy III for allowing me to share this diary.

March, Saturday 1.    1884.
I did not do anything to day to amount to much.
The Turk's [?] was up with their beans [?] today
I helped D. J. Miller to chop wood in the afternoon, over at Dennis [?]

Sunday 2.
I went to church to day and to prayer meeting at night
Father and mother went down to see Ed Burgin

March, Monday 3.     1884.
Father and I went up to John Archibald this morning

Tuesday 4.
I am at Archibald
Jim Will  "  [ditto marks indicate "Archibald"] went to see Anna Thomson and got his horse stole

March, Wednesday 5.    1884.
I am at Archibald

Thursday 6.
I am at Archibald
Jim Will took Anna Thomson over to a party at New Kingston

March, Friday 7.  1884.
I am at John Archibald to day

Saturday 8.
I am at John Archibald
Came down home at night
Nancy Fletcher sale is to day Ma was over
[1839-1909; only surviving child of Christiana Miller and James Fletcher? Lived at Andes]

March, Sunday 9.   1884.
I went to church to day  There is no prayer meeting to night
It stormed very hard at night.

Monday 10.
It is stormy so we did not go up to Archibald to day I was down to Doug s
Father & Mother went to James Jacks a visiting
Jennie & I went down to Strangeway's
Ed & Sibbie [?] was there

March, Tuesday 11.  1884.
I went down and done Doug's chores for him and Maggie Jennie & Dougs went to W [?] Delhi.
They came back to night
Pa & Ma are down to Mrs James Collins' sale to day
Biddy sold for $65

Wednesday 12.
Rained most all day to day
I went up to the upper end of the town this afternoon and stayed all night at Archie Forman [Foreman]

March, Thursday 13.  1884.
I went from Forman to John Archibald in the morning and commenced work
Father came up with Archie at noon

Friday 14.
I am at John W. Archibald working to day
I lathed to day
Pa was down at Cookes at night.

March, Saturday 15.  1884.
I am working at John Archibald to day
Came down home at night and went to a school exhibition at the Hall had a good time.

Sunday 16.
I went to Church to day
There is no services to night

March, Monday 17.   1884.
I went up to John Archibalds to day to work

Tuesday 18.
I am at Archibald
Came down to Brushland at night
I got home at 11 oc
Will Johnson got his horse stole from Wm Elliott to night

March, Wednesday 19.   1884.
I am at Archibald to day

Thursday 20.
I am at Archibald
We finished raising the roof to day
We went down to Wm Cooke's at night

March, Friday 21.  1884.
I am at Archibald
We put on siding to day

Saturday 22.
I am at Archibald
We put on siding to day
Came down home at night
John has gone to Delhi after lumber to day

March, Sunday 23.   1884.
I went to church to day There is no prayer meeting to night at the U. P.

Monday 24.
I helped David Hoy to build a scaffold in the R. P. Church to day [also known as the Covenanter Church; probably this mention refers to David Miller Hoy]
I was up street at night

March, Tuesday 25.  1884.
Dave & I went up to John Archibald to day
Dave came down home at night

Wednesday 26.
I am at Archibald
Dave came up again this morning
Father went down to Mr. Foreman's at night

March, Thursday 27.    1884.
I am at Archibald
Father did not come up until noon
Dave went down home to night
I was down at Cookes at night

Friday 28.
I am at John Archibald to day
I was down to Cookes at night
I was not down [i.e., "not down to home"?]

March, Saturday 29. 1884.
I am at J. Archibald to day
Came down home at night walked all the way.
Uncle John was in to night.

Sunday 30.
I went to church to day There is no meeting to night
There was not over 80 at church to day

March, Monday 31.     1884.
I came up to John Archibald

 April, Tuesday 1.     1884.
I am at Archibalds

 April, Wednesday 2.   1884.
I am at John Archibalds

Thursday 3.
We finished working at John Archibald to day at noon
I went over to Richardson at night Miss Hastings Miss Thomson E.J. Miller  D, W.M, G. Raitt was there
Came home at 12 oc

April, Friday 4.     1884.
I did not do much of any Thing to day except to tap my boot [might be "foot"—a fine way to express boredom, now that the Archibald house is finished?]
I was down to Doug and Geo Gladstone to night

Saturday 5.
I did not do much of anything to day
I made two malets [sic] to day and was up to the store.
Uncle John was in at night.

April,   Sunday 6.   1884.
I was up at Church to day
there is no meeting
              
Monday 7.
We did not commence at John Hastings to day as Father went to Delhi and Dave to Kortright.

April, Tuesday 8.          1884.
We begun work for John Hastings to day
I was up in the Huddle at night.

Wednesday 9.
I am at John Hastings to day Knapp and Clark lathed to day
I was up to the store at night

April, Thursday 10.    1884.
I am at John Hastings to day working at the house

Friday 11.
I am working at John Hastings to day
Doug, Maggie, Alex. [?], D. Hoy. Josephine was here at night

April, Saturday 12.    1884.
I am working at John Hastings to day
I went down to Geo. Davidsons at night and to Dougs and stayed all night.

Sunday 13.
I went to Sunday school to day and T. Gordon [? Perhaps Thomas, a Civil War veteran, 1845-1921] taught the class
I went to the R. P. church in the afternoon.

April, Monday 14.       1884.
I went to Delhi today and got a pair of shoes & Rubbers [overshoes].
Geo Davidson, Minnie and Henry Coulter was here to night.

Tuesday 15.
I finished at John Hastings to day at noon and picked up our tools in the afternoon
Went down to Dougs

April, Wednesday 16.    1884.
I did not go to Pat. Doig's to day
I worked around the house yard today, grading for a sidewalk.

Thursday 17.
I work with father grading around the house yard
I went up to the store at night
I send a postal to Patrick Doig to day [perhaps a formal proposal, considering the work done in upcoming weeks. Probably Patrick Mitchell Doig, b. 1830]

April, Friday 18.  1884.
I helped to grade around the house to day
Mrs Collins came here to day
Doug was up drawing earth & stones. Maggie came up with him

Saturday 19.
I helped to grade to day
I went down to Doug's at night
Mother & Mrs Collins went up to Walt Biggar to day

April, Sunday 20.   1884.
I went to church to day
Came down to Dougs at night

Monday 21.
Came down to Delhi with Doug and went down on the train to Walton and then went up to P. S. Doigs.

April, Tuesday 22.   1884.
I scored all day to day [presumably, scoring for carpentry, marking for cuts?]

Wednesday 23.
I scored all day to day
We played dominoes at night

April, Thursday 24.    1884.
I worked on the frame today
Tom & I went down to John Millers at night

Friday 25.
I worked on the frame to day
Miss Doig, Dave, Tom & I played dominoes at night

April, Saturday 26.    1884.
I am at P. S. Doigs to day
I went over to H Scotts at night
Tom Clark went to Wm Tweedies.

Sunday 27.
I went to church at West Delhi to day with Geo Scott
George gave me a ride as far as R Bindsal [?] and then I walked to Wm Tweedies

April, Monday 28. `1884.
I am at P. S. Doig to day
We played dominoes at night
              
Tuesday 29.
I am at P. S. Doig's to day We worked on the beams ties to day Tom & I went out to a social at Royal Eld[enknuss? illegible]
They got $14.30.

April, Wednesday 30.     1884.
I am at P.S. Doig to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment