Bovina Children in Fine Pageant - Large Audience Sees Lecture Course; Home Talent Number
The home talent number of the Lecture Course given last Friday evening [April 9] at Hillis Hall was well received by a large audience. Part I consisted of a pageant entitled "Toyland." given by the children of the village. Some-fifteen songs were beautifully sung by the children and a number of pretty folk dances were given. The performance was greatly enhanced by the attractive costumes worn by the young performers. Part II was a one act play entitled "A Necktie Hero," which also called forth warm approval from those present.
Gale at Bovina Center
It is reported that the recent wind storm reached the velocity of a gale in this vicinity and did some little damage. The stack at the creamery was partly demolished and the brick chimney on the Leon Van "Dusen home was blown down, crashing through the roof and breaking the rafters. There was some danger of fire from flying sparks, but Mr. Van Dusen was able to reach the roof with wet sacks by climbing to a porch roof from an upstairs window, a ladder being quite useless on account of the high wind.
In spite of an all day rain on April 8th the farm sale of William Archibald was largely attended and good prices prevailed. Mr. Archibald expects to move into the village very soon.
Queer Malady at Bovina Center
A number of children in the community are suffering from a form of stomach and bowel disorder which seems to be an annual occurence. The origin of the malady is not clearly understood, though it is believed by some to be caused by the condition of the drinking water at this season. However, as it is quite severe in many cases and also very prevalent throughout the county. It would seem to be a problem for our county health organization to investigate.And while all this was happening, the Methodist Church in Bovina, built in 1849, was being demolished. The Catskill Mountain New reported this in its April 30 issue:
The Methodist Episcopal church at Bovina Center, which was torn down two weeks ago, was built in 1849 and cost only $1397.50. It was built of native pine and hemlock and would have stood another 77 years. D. C. Worden will reconstruct it for a barn on the Ormiston farm. Several years ago the Methodist denomination found no further use for a church in a field where there are two Presbyterian churches, and accordingly gave up the work.The church was located on the lot now occupied by the house of Gertrude Hall. The house was built by William Archibald - the same William Archibald who had the April 8 farm sale reported in the Stamford Mirror. And the Ormiston farm was on Reinertsen Hill Road.