Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Resume

It has been suggested that I need to put my resume on my blog. Since it's four pages long, I thought I'd do a summary instead.

I spent my whole childhood in Bovina, graduating from Delaware Academy in Delhi in 1973. I got my B.S. degree in Social Science Education in 1977 from SUNY Oneonta. After spending six years living and working in the Washington, DC area, I returned to New York to get my Masters in Library Science from SUNY Albany in 1985.

The masters program trained me to be an archivist and records manager. I worked for the Albany County Hall of Records until mid-1986 and then moved to Dutchess County to serve four years as the Records Management Officer for the county. In 1990, I started working for my current employer, the New York State Archives. I spent a decade serving as the Regional Advisory Officer for Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester Counties. I advised local governments on the management of their records. In 2000, I transferred to Albany to take my current position of Coordinator of Archival Advisory Services for the State Archives.

My interest in Bovina history dates back to my young adulthood, when I started delving into my family tree. Since much of my ancestry was rooted in Bovina, I began to learn more about the town's history. This was enhanced during my graduate studies, when I did an independent study project that involved sorting out the town's records vault.

The fact that my dad, Charlie LaFever (Bovina Town Supervisor from 1978-2002), was interested in local history further fed my interest. It was something we had in common. At the time of his passing in 2004, he was serving as the Bovina Town Historian. I approached the town board about succeeding him and was appointed in the spring of that year. Not only am I following in my dear old dad's footsteps, but those of two of my predecessors, Hugh Lee and the late Fletcher Davidson, who was very instrumental in starting me down the road in researching my family history. I have some impressive shoes to fill.

So there's my background in a nutshell. In another post, I'll summarize some of the activities I've done since becoming town historian. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment